Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Review: The Girl Before

The Girl Before The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 stars. I struggled quite a bit with the rating of this book. It was probably not my cup of tea type of book but I did finish it.

The story revolves around a house and its architect who has built a self sufficient "home" that seemingly can only be occupied by a complete minimalist.

Jane and her boyfriend rent the house and sign the papers which amount to about 200 pages of rules and regulations regarding their tenancy. Emma, was a previous tenant who died in the house and Jane resembles Emma and we learn of the similarities between the two.

The story bounces back and forth between then and now and after awhile one story seems to run into the other including that both Emma and Jane become involved with Edward, the architect. This type of bouncing can work with some books but I felt that this one fell short of holding the reader's interest considering that the characters were mostly unbelievable and unlikable.

The description of the book says that its In the tradition of The Girl on the Train, The Silent Wife, and Gone Girl. I have read all three of those books and I don't see the similarities at all. This is its own genre IMO.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...