Saturday, April 15, 2017

Review: Saint Christopher and the Gravedigger

Saint Christopher and the Gravedigger Saint Christopher and the Gravedigger by Catherine Cookson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in advance of publication. I was excited to read another Catherine Cookson book as she was a favourite author and I have read many of her books numerous times. The first book that I read was The Fifteen Streets and for any new readers of Ms. Cookson I would suggest that would be a good place to start, although it would be hard to choose a "wrong" place with these collections.

John is a grave digger in a small village. He is a family man with a loving wife and with a lot of comings and goings from his family and from his neighbours. His mother also lives with them and she could be a very hard person to cope with. I felt that John's wife, Florrie, was a saint herself with just putting up with her mother in law.

One thing that has struck John in his job is that many of the deceased were in possession of a Saint Christopher medal when they died in accidents. John seemed to dwell on this and when he was hit with a cricket ball and injured, this Saint Christopher medal started to really play on his mind.

Ms. Cookson is still speaking to us and what a gift this book is to her fans. A great read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...