Sunday, April 16, 2017

Review: A Painted House

A Painted House A Painted House by John Grisham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since John Grisham is one of my all time favourite authors, I was probably going to love this book no matter what. Well, there was "no matter what" because I did love the book.

It is 1952 in Arkansas and seven year old Luke Chandler is picking cotton along with the Mexican workers and other hired pickers. His goal is to save enough money to buy a shirt from his favourite baseball team. The immediate family includes his grandparents and his uncle who is a soldier and is away fighting in the Korean War. Everyone is very tense and worried about him.

During this period Luke deals, very maturely, with some serious issues including a brutal murder. When the rains ruin the cotton in the fields, Luke's parents have to make a decision, hopefully to change their circumstances for the better.

An excellent read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...