Sunday, July 17, 2016

Review: My Name is Lucy Barton

My Name is Lucy Barton My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lucy Barton is a writer. Her story starts as a "sort of" journal that she started as she was confined to the hospital for nine weeks due to a complicated surgery. During that time she receives a visit from her estranged mother and they were able to make a peace with each other.

Her story is very emotional making you actually believe that Elizabeth Strout must have herself endured poverty and abuse. The relationships of life are examined; parents, siblings, relatives, husbands, children and friends. The writing is a gentle matter of fact.

There was always a "thing", her words, in her background. Was it abuse? The reader is left to accept that theory or puzzle further.

The ending may have been a bit of a letdown, but then again, whose lives end on big highs.

A thoroughly engrossing read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...