Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton

CloudstreetCloudstreet by Tim Winton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 A very rich and personal saga. Two families; the Pickles and the Lambs. The story opens with Sam Pickles, who is working on a barge and has a terrible accident in which he loses most of his right hand. The family is already on poor street and living in their cousin's bar. Dolly Pickles, Sam's wife is an alcoholic and "loose woman" who doesn't take care of her family and Sam prides himself on his terribly bad luck.

When their cousin dies they discover that he has left them a large house on Cloud Street. After rattling around in the house, Sam decides to rent out half of it for income and, enter the Lambs.

The Lambs are a burly bunch with problems of their own and six children.

I loved this long saga, but I would suggest that you have an Australian native to help you over the dialect problems. At times I wasn't sure if I was reading English, but it is extremely colourful and I had a good time figuring it all out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Flight Girls

The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar My rating: 4 of 5 stars A stunning story about the Women Airfo...