Monday, June 25, 2018

Review: The Nightingale

The Nightingale The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this previously but didn't record it but I am so happy that I re-read it now. I know that for awhile I avoided the book thinking that I just can't read more sad war stories. But this book is perfect and extremely well done. Two quite different sisters during the war in France, that is what the blurb tells us. But in my mind I ask the question "were they really so different?"

This no frills story is about war and the horrible ugliness and about the bravery of the women who tried to save others.

My short review here can never give the praise that this book deserves so I struggle with words of praise for it. I am in the generation still whose fathers and grandfathers fought in WWII and close relatives were in some of the camps to help the people and I heard about some of it first hand. In general the returning men found it too difficult and can never speak about it; its completely unspeakable.

An excellent read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...