Monday, December 22, 2014

The Whip by Karen Kondazian

The Whip [Audiobook/audio Cd] [Unabridged]The Whip [Audiobook/audio Cd] [Unabridged] by Karen Kondazian
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was one of the best books I have read this year. Everything came together in a wonderful way; that is to say, the writing is wonderful and Ms. Kondazian has joined my favourite author list. The research into the character was tremendous. The audio is wonderful and what a talent Robin Weigert has to make me truly believe that I was listening to men, women and children.

Many modern authors try to trick us by constantly "hinting" at things that may have already happened or be about to happen and also by jumping around in the story. In this case Ms Kondazian started the story at the beginning and followed it through to the end which in my opinion is the better route for a story to take.

In brief, it is the story of Charlotte Parkhurst, a foundling in the early 1800's. Her life was very hard and eventually she took the identity of a man in order to find employment and to support herself. She became a whip or stagecoach driver and was considered one of the best. Men who knew her were very surprised when she died to discover that she was a woman.

It is odd to think that even now, 200 years later, women in the world are still struggling for equality.

A thoroughly enjoyable and educational story and I am so glad that it was recommended to me by a goodreads member.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...