Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

The Power of OneThe Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was an amazing story which held me captive for several days. It ticked all the boxes for me in a novel and at the same time I learned many things about South Africa.

A young boy, five years old, is sent to a boarding school for a year because his family was having difficulties and were moving to a far location. This stay in the boarding school where he was the youngest boy, was the most terrible time in his life, but it also taught him many lessons. You become thoroughly immersed in Peekay's life from that point on. Not the least of which is his determination to become the welterweight boxing champion of the world.

An excellent book. It is hard to believe that this was Mr. Courtenay's first novel. What a birth!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...