Friday, December 13, 2013

Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole

Letters from SkyeLetters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A book of letters, wonderful! in 1912, a poet, Elsbeth Dunne who lives in Isle of Skye receives a letter from an American fellow complimenting her on the books of poems that she has written. This is the beginning of several years of letter writing where they become good friends and eventually, lovers.

I guess I am a sentimentalist at heart after all because I really was crying at the end. I listened to this in audio version and with all the accents and the performances were just wonderful. I admit that it might sound much different if just reading the written word.

Reading personal letters brings you much closer to the characters than any first, second or third person writing can do, in my opinion, or at least in this book. I can't imagine how it could have been written otherwise.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and a love story was a lovely change of pace for my reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Exchange: After The Firm

The Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham My rating: 4 of 5 stars What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere afte...